Sunday, June 3, 2007

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

The title of this popular film reminds me of "Finding Nemo," when Bloat asks little Nemo to swim through "the ring of Fire!"

I confess I am no Harry Potter fan, so I found this film rather tedious and dark. I'm not even sure why I watched it. I think it's too scary for young children; Voldemort is so gross (but not gross enough). I felt utterly ripped off that I did not get to see the Quidditch World Cup, as the game itself is more interesting to me than the story. I thought the boys' hairstyles were way too long and annoying looking. Hermione wasn't as annoying as usual, which is a plus. The story line: no film ever beats the book, I'd say, and this one leaves out a few bits, obviously. The plot always felt like it was missing something. You couldn't watch it and understand it unless you have been reading/watcing the earlier titles in the series. I think it's sad that the boy, Cedrick, dies. Why can't he just be paralysed or something? Why does it have to be so evil and scary?

Anyway, as far as sfx go, this film has some good ones, like the flying horses and the dragons.
Rating: 2 1/2 (can I do halves, Michele? The half is for the adolescents at whom the film is aimed).

3 comments:

Chell said...

Rebecca, I'm sure my son would totally disagree with your comments but then he is only 11.

Anonymous said...

Hi Rebecca its Dylan, Its not the best movie out of the 4 but its got the best special effects. They do have a lot of the stuff missing from the book but thats okay. Some of it is scary but some of it is funny as well. I didn't notice their hair. Voldermort is better in this movie than the first movie.
Rating: 4/5

Rebecca said...

Looks like we agree on some things there, Dylan. Did you wish you got to see the Quidditch World Cup? I love watching Quidditch. I also missed Dobby in this one. Perhaps you could review some films for you generation - give me some ideas for my teaching? Thanks!